It’s a wonderful weekend where I live (finally), and I’m sending info in from the lake. Yes, life is tough. My book, FORGOTTEN SINS, released early this month, and the hero in it is a guy I just love. So, I thought it’d be fun to talk about heroes, and as it turns out, I had a list already prepared about some wonderful heroes. What do you think about these guys?
1) Roarke. He’s the hero in J.D. Robb’s Death series. Roarke is a guy with a bad past trying to find a good future…which is smart since he married a cop. He tries to stay inside the lines for her, but there’s no question he’ll cross over if necessary. Plus, he’s tall, dark with blue eyes, and Irish. Very hot!
2) Ranger. He’s one of the heroes in Janet Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum series. Ranger is a bad boy trying to do some good—sexy, dark, and deadly. (Are you seeing a pattern here?) 🙂
3) Malcolm Reynolds. In Joss Wheden’s Firefly, Mal is the leader of a group of misfits trying to travel space and keep their freedom. They also try to balance the scales between good and evil, right and wrong, even though lots of time they’re not sure which side they’re really on.
4) Indiana Jones. I love Indy. He can solve any problem, is afraid of snakes, and always gets the girl. He’s got a great brain and uses it often—as well as a strong sense of good vs. evil. This is a guy you’d want on your side if the world blew up.
5) Rick Blaine. Yeah, you knew we’d get to Humphrey Bogart at some time, right? Rick is the classic anti-hero (as are most of the fellas up above). In Casablanca, his past is sketchy, his present unnerving, and his future up in the air. Yet he’s strong and determined to live life on his own terms – ultimately sacrificing love for the better good. In the scene where Ilsa says something about the first time they met, the same day the Germans marched into Paris; Rick says it wasn’t an easy day to forget. Ilsa agrees, and Rick says, “I remember every detail. The Germans wore gray, you wore blue.” **Sigh**
6) Sheriff John Biebe. Russell Crow played the sheriff in Mystery, Alaska, a movie about a small town waaaay up north. He is a big fish in a small pond, ice skating is king, and the story comes down to a David v. Goliath finish. The sheriff rocks.
7) Waylan Givens. Can anybody say hot cowboy? Timothy Olyphant plays a wild U.S. Marshal who wears a cowboy hat and shoots first in the show Justified. If you haven’t seen this…you really should. 🙂
8) Cameron Hicks. Hicks is on the new SyFy ALPHA’s show. He’s an Alpha, former drug addict, former marine, divorced dad. They guy has so much stacked up against him, and he fights hard to belong and even forge a relationship with a dangerous woman even more damaged than he is. This is a character to watch.
9) Seeley Booth. Yes, he’s the hero in Bones (and Angel), and he’s an FBI agent who truly draws the line between good and evil. He’s an ex-sniper with a lot of blood on his hands, but he’s okay with most of it since he was serving his country. He’s also a single dad…who keeps falling for women who won’t commit. (And he catches ALL the bad guys). His character is fascinating…but the guy also has abs of steel. Just sayin.
10) Will Hunting. There’s something about the lost, genius, tough guy that is so appealing. He wants to stay with his friends in Southey, but knows there’s something else waiting for him, if he’d just use that incredible intellect. The struggle is a fascinating one to watch.
So, there’s a brief breakdown of some interesting heroes.