Cover model Jason Aaron Baca is kind enough to answer some of our toughest interview questions. His personal motto is “Just keeps gettin’ better” and today we’ll all see why that is very true for him.
• Welcome Jason! Let’s start with the photo shoot. What goes through your mind during the photo shoots?
• Jason – Well I do my best to completely clear my head on the day of the shoot. The only thing that is concerning is looking and feeling at ease.
• Do you have a favorite cover?
• Jason – I now have about 10 different favorite covers that I like. The most recent one I like is – http://jasonaaronbaca.deviantart.com/gallery/29805178#/d5lm9yl
• That is a beautiful cover. Is there a particular outfit or prop that had unexpected consequences?
• Jason – Yes actually. I was at a shoot once where they had these giant hollow rocks. They were as large as pumpkins. Well they were in the studio and someone came up with the idea of holding them over my head as if I was carrying it. Turned out looking really cool.
• What do you prefer, studio photo sessions or going on location, and why?
• Jason – Studio all the way. On location images never seem to get used. I don’t know what it is, maybe they are harder for the graphic artists to extract from. Whatever the case, I do better with unnatural lighting.
• Hahaha, unnatural lighting. I can just picture it. What’s the most unique photo shoot you can remember?
• Jason – An outdoor one we did where they had me sitting on an old tractor in a field of mustard plants. It was so memorable because when I hoped in the tractor a swarm of bees came flying out after me! It was a crazy moment but we all got out of there… FAST.
• Sounds like yet another reason to favor indoor photo shoots. Is there a cover or concept you’d like to portray that you haven’t yet accomplished?
• Jason – Yes actually. I like a lot of the Sci-Fi covers I see out there. I’d love to be a part of those in the future.
• Why did you choose the romance genre?
• Jason – Well I still wanted to model but was getting a little older looking for mainstream modeling. This seemed to fit the bill perfectly for me. Pretty much all the models are around my age that do the romance novels. It made it so I didn’t have a complex when I was doing a shoot too.
• Do you ever become aroused while in a photo shoot? It seems to me, with the lack of attire and body part proximity, it might be a given on occasion…
• Jason – I get asked this every so often. And its all about the shot to me. Both models usually know they have a job to do and need to look as sexy and into it as possible. Most of the time we are strangers too so it would be hard to be that way.
• So it’s all business for you, but have you ever dated someone you met while on a photo shoot?
• Jason – No I haven’t actually. It would feel weird if I did. I don’t like mixing business with pleasure.
• Let’s switch to books. What genre of books do you read?
• Jason – All of them. And yes, I have been known to read a romance book or 2.
• Yay, we like to hear that! What are some of your favorite books?
• Jason – Just too many to limit to just a few. I have a list and would feel guilty leaving any out.
• Have you ever read any of the books where you’ve been the cover model?
• Jason – Yes I have and boy they are sizzling books! These authors are really creative with their minds.
• Do you get the same ridiculous inappropriate questions/comments from people (fans, friends, family, etc) that we erotic romance authors get? You know the questions we’re talking about, things like “Do you do all the sexual stuff your characters do in your books?”… I guess the equivalent for a cover model would be “Do you get to ‘do’ all those models?”
• Jason – Hahaha… No, see, this is all fantasy. This is the land of make believe where you can imagine what your heart desires. That’s what’s so great about all this. Doing these covers and then having people wonder where things went.
• Now we’ll get a little personal. As a little boy, what did you want to be when you grew up? A cowboy? An astronaut?
• Jason – A professional baseball player… Only I didn’t make it past my 3rd year in college ball.
• College ball is impressive! Have you ever gotten to do a photo shoot or been on a cover that “realized” that childhood dream?
• Jason – No, nor would I be into it as a model. It’s just something weird in my head. When I put baseball down many years ago, I put down that part of my life so to become that character again would feel strange to me.
• What does your family think about your work?
• Jason – They aren’t that into it really. It’s not that they don’t want to see any of this, its that they don’t understand it all. All my family comes from hard working backgrounds. ie. working your butt off all day and then coming home wiped out. They don’t know this part of life.
• Are you straight or gay?
• Jason – STRAIGHT
• Okay, sounds like you’re sure about that! LOL Have you ever been compared to Fabio?
• Jason – Well he’s in a class of his own, but that name is the first one that is mentioned whenever I tell someone what I do.
• What’s an average Saturday night like for you?
• Jason – Its full of all kinds of stuff. But wherever I am… I’m content.
• Sounds like you enjoy living in the moment. Sports or reality TV?
• Jason – Sports !
• Any funny stories about being recognized in real life?
• Jason- Not really funny… scary maybe… I’ve been at the gym on several occasions and had people come up to me and say my name and start talking to me as if we knew one another. It’s a hard adjustment.
• Where do you see yourself in five years? How about 25 years?
• Jason – In 5 yrs. It should be a wrap with the photos being taken. In 25 years, I’ll move to a big house in New Hampshire that has land and a pond where you can fish. It will also have a chicken coop.
Fishing and raising chickens. Sound like a wonderful plan. We wish you all the best of luck, and hope you achieve all your goals. Thank you for being our guest today, and for your honest and fascinating answers.
Jason will be giving away a signed model card to one lucky commenter.
Find lots more of Jason here: http://jasonaaronbaca.deviantart.com
And now for all you cowboy fans: